Launching of Weir

Launching of Weir

We are in... Launched at high water this morning.. Very pleased.. Immediately water leaking in but easing as the planking took up water and swelled. I decided that there were no more reasons to stay in the yard and decided to launch .. It was ok . For those that don't know the yard or maybe will be in West wales for a stop over or lay up Est LLanion is the place .. Vance the yard manager placed Weir the night before in the travel hoist and brought her to the top of the slip . and just before high water we put her in the water , and moved her to an adjacent wall so she could take up. As already mentioned she started leaking immediatedly , not surprising for a boat that hadn't been in the water for 10 years (or more).. More surprising was that on the same tide, and a few hours later her planking had swelled (taken up) and the majority of water stopped .. Amazing , as I had read that it can be even some days before they are fully water tight.

After monitoring her for some hours and pumping the bilges occassionally I left her to it and went home .. and later in the evening on the next flood returned to keep an eye on how things were progressing.. The boat had tightened up even more during this period and much more dry, but I found that I had a small but persistent leak that required me to pump out every hour .. It wasn't severe just a couple of inches in the bilge , but if you have no experience to gauge it against then it seems that niagra it coming in :-) . I have later found that my fears were unfounded .. The main objective with this leak was to know its location .. this involved taking out some draws but it was possible to locate it to a planking seam where a thin trickle of water coming in .. I am positive that this will also close up in time .. Plan is to move Weir to her new home in Pembroke Dock where we have been offerred a berth at the Pembroke Dock maritime heritage preservation . looking forward to it...