Ibiza by moonlight

Ibiza by moonlight

I have been trying to get to Valencia for the last week or so but the weather has been somewhat against the idea ! I got my repaired mainsail back. I highly recommend the sailmaker (SP Sails). Professional and a good price. Instead of repairing the batten pockets he recommended re-cutting the leech (or leach if you prefer that spelling - apparently both are correct) and removing the battens completely. Why? The costs would be the same. The damaged batten pockets could get damaged again in the next 2-3 years because the top of the sail is stretched. The main part of the sail is still in good shape and will last another 2 to 3 years even though it is already 15 years old - says a lot for Hood Vektron cloth. Removal of the battens saves a lot of bulk in the mast furler and reduces weight aloft. Performance would be hardly noticeable - we are not a racing yacht. I intend to buy a new suit of sails in 2 to 3 years time so, as they say “a no brainer”. Anyhow, Managed to get the sail back on board and hoisted alone even though it is a big heavy sail - it can be done solo if you think it through beforehand. That done I decided to take a small break in the weather and sail down to Ibiza, wait our the weather and then choose the timing to run across to Valencia. The trip started off well at 10:30 with 25 to 30 kn of wind and 2 to 3 m sea varying between close hauled and a beam reach. All went well for the first 50 nm then the wind and sea steadily built to 42 kn and 4 m sea. “Lively sailing” for an overnight single handed passage. But the repaired mainsail behaved itself as I wound it in and out with the varying wind speed. Ended up with a scrap of jib and about 1/4 of the main. By now we were about 12 miles off the East coats of Ibiza and to get to the shelter of one of the anchorages meant beating into the wind to close the shore. It took a lot longer than anticipated as the wind direction seemed to change every time I tacked ! However, finally made it in the moonlight and anchored in a a sheltered bay at 03:30. What should have been a 65 to 70 nm, 12 to 15 hour trip extended to > 80 nm taking 15 hours! At least the moon was out! If you zoom in on the photo you should be able to see the spray! Tired I went to bed and arose the next morning to sunshine and calm in the little anchorage - I am the only boat here. I took the opportinty to reeve a new jib sheet. I had been meaning to do this for severla weeks and thw wind had taken its toll on it during the last trip. I did not want it it give way during my next sail ! As I write this a couple of days later it has been blowing 35 kn in the sheltered bay ! The view out to sea shows some pretty rough weather and I am guessing winds of 50kn and seas of 4 - 5 m. I guess I timed it pretty well. It should die down again tonight and I will make the dash across to Valencia - but more about that later.