Below we have listed the most popular questions we are asked at customer service. If you cannot find the answer to your question on the help page, then please email the site via the contact form with your query and we will be pleased to help. Thank you. Erica.
How do I subscribe?
Log into your account and click the "subscribe" link at the top of the page. We accept payment with MasterCard, Visa, and Discover Cards and a Paypal account if you are resident in the US, UK or Canada. If you are resident in another part of the world, we only accept payment via a Paypal account. Select the GOLD package you wish to pay for, then select either Credit/Debit Card or Paypal depending on which one you wish to use, then click the pink button “checkout”. You will then be directed to enter your card or Paypal details. We have an SSL certificate for the site but do not have access to or keep your financial details, these are taken by the third party payment gateway. We do also accept bank transfers. If you would like to transfer the subscription fee please contact us via the contact page of the site and we will send you the transfer details
Why do you charge for membership?
We charge membership fees for several reasons. Firstly all profiles are approved by hand to ensure a quality database of single sailors that love sailing. This is a time consuming and costly activity. Secondly spammers and scammers don't like to part with their money so a membership fee dissuades them from joining, they tend to stick to free sites. And lastly we have chosen not to subject our members to endless advertising banners which, or course, would be another way to pay for the running costs of a site.
I've been sent notification of a message but it's not in my inbox?
Sometimes a message can be held up in the spam filter. If a member sends exactly the same message to more than one member then these messages will be held in the spam filter until they have been checked. If the messages are genuine they will be approved and sent on to the recipient. If the messages are spam they will be deleted and the member who has sent them will be suspended and investigated. If a member is suspended their profile cannot be found on the database by using the search.
Are profiles censored?
Yes, all profiles are manually checked before being approved. This is to ensure all the members have a genuine interest in sailing. We aim to approve new profiles and edited profiles as soon as possible and an email will be sent once the profile has been approved. Access to the site is limited after joining until email verification has been completed. Also it contravenes our terms and conditions of use to add personal contact information anywhere in the profile, comment box, user blog or crewing group, where it is visible to other members. This includes cryptic descriptions of email address and links to other websites. We also prohibit the use of any images that are pornographic, violent, in breach of copyright, contain personal contact details, links to other websites or advertising material. This is for your own security and also the security of the site. Please remember that we are a friendship and crew site too and some members are here to make friends not find dates. We want Lovesail to be a friendly and respectful site that members enjoy using.
Why doesn't my profile appear when I search for it?
If you are logged into your account and try searching for your profile it will not appear. If you want to know what your profile looks like to other members then click on the My Profile link at the top of the page once you have logged in. If you want to check your profile in a search you can use the quick search on the home page, but make sure you are not logged into your account.
How do I recognise a scammer?
Scammers are usually men pretending to be women who have seemingly fallen head over heels in love with you, or they have some terrible story of woe and they prey on your sympathy in order to persuade you to send them some money. Be very wary of people that send you their contact details on their first contact with you. Also be very wary of giving them your contact details. If they are genuine then they won't mind talking through the site's private message facility. Under no circumstances should you ever send money to someone you’ve met on a dating site or social network.
How do I edit my profile?
Log into your account and the first page you come to is the Members Home Page. From here you can do everything you need. To return to this page at any time, click Home at the top left corner. Once at the Members Home Page, look down the left side of the page under My Profile and you will see Edit Profile. Click this and you can edit your profile. Don't forget to click save after you have made your changes.
How do I change my email address or password?
Log into your account and the first page you come to is the Members Home Page. From here you can do everything you need. To return to this page at any time, click Home at the top left corner. Once at the Members Home Page, look down the left side of the page under My Profile and you will see Edit Profile. Click this and you will then see where to enter your new email address. To change your password just click on the "CHANGE PASSWORD" link found at the top right.
How do I add a photo?
Log into your account and the first page you come to is the Members Home Page. From here you can do everything you need. To return to this page at any time, click Home at the top left corner. Once at the Members Home Page, look down the left side of the page under My Profile and you will see Add New. Click on the camera icon underneath this and you will arrive at the photo upload page. Click on one small grey camera icon to the right and a "choose file" button will appear at the bottom of the big grey camera icon on the left. Click this button and upload a photo in the usual way. If your photo needs to be rotated, just use the green arrows that appear to rotate it into the right position.
How do I select a profile picture/avatar?
Log into your account so you arrive at the Members Home Page, look down the left side of the page under My Profile and you will see Add New. Click on the camera icon underneath this and you will arrive at the photo upload page. Click on one of the small thumbnail photos you have uploaded already so it appears on the left enlarged. At the top of the photo on the right side you will see "make thumbnail". Click this and your photo will now appear as your profile picture/avatar.
How do I send a private message?
Log into your account and the first page you come to is the Members Home Page. From here you can do everything you need. To return to this page at any time, click Home at the top left corner. Once at the Members Home Page, look under the Welcome salutation and you will see two columns of links. Find My Mailbox and click on it. You are now in your Inbox and can send a message, view messages sent to you and also view messages you have sent. An alternative way to send a message to a member is to call up the profile of the member you wish to contact using the search facility. When the results of the search come through, click on the profile photo to bring up the full profile. Under the photos on their profile page you will see a line of buttons for various options. Click Send Message and you can then write your message. All members are sent notifications when they receive a message
How do I post a crewing opportunity?
If you are looking for crew you can post a crewing group on the Lovesail site. Firstly log into your account and then click on "Crewing" at the top of the page. Click on the "Create Crewing Group" button at the top and you can add your details. Please do not include links. All members can view your group. Any member that is interested can join your crewing group and contact you via the private message system. Only Gold members can post a crewing opportunity.
How do I select my location when joining?
If you are registering from the USA, use the Zip Code locator to detect your location. If you are registering from the UK or another location you will need to use the location selector. This works using a drop-down menu. First select your Country, then when the Region/Large City field appears select either a county or city area. When City/Town appears start typing your town or city and it should appear in the drop-down list. If it does not please contact admin with your location details and we can help you.
How do I delete my account?
Just send an email via the contact page form with DELETE followed by your USERNAME, and your REASONS FOR LEAVING and we will delete your account within 24 hours of receiving the email. Please give us your reasons for leaving, this helps with our market research and we can improve the site. You will receive an automated reply advising you of the deletion. Please be advised that if you are a Gold Member your subscription will be lost. If you rejoin the site in the future, you will have to re-subscribe to become a Gold Member.
How do I put my account on HOLD?
If you are off sailing for a few months but won't have access to the site or will be too busy to answer messages, then you can put your account on hold. This means you will not be visible to members. Log into your account and on the right hand side of the Member's Home Page you will see Status. Next to this you will see "HIDE PROFILE". click this and it will change to "Activate Profile" Your account is now on hold. Members you have been in contact with before will be able to find you through their inbox but not by searching. Other members will not find you in searches. To un-hold just click "Activate Profile" and it will change back.
Dating Safety Tips:
Some normally sensible single sailors can lose their head when it comes to affairs of the heart! So here are a few dating safety tips:
- NEVER reveal too many personal details about yourself. We do not advise handing over your personal address, email address, facebook details, place of work or mobile number unless you are very sure about the person or have met them first. Be very wary of someone that sends you their contact details on the very first contact.
- NEVER invite someone you have not met before to your home.
- If you have arranged to met someone for a date, let a friend know where you are going and who you are meeting. They can then check with you as to your whereabouts if needs be. Also arrange your own transport to and from the date. Take a mobile phone with you on the date.
- NEVER go out sailing together for a first meeting. This is not a good idea. Meet at least once, for a coffee perhaps, in a mutually convenient venue. Ideally, try to meet several more times before committing to a sailing trip. If you are going out sailing try to take a friend or group of friends with you.
- NEVER have too much alcohol to drink whilst on the date and keep an eye on your drink at all times.
- When logging into your Lovesail account ALWAYS use a secure network. Keep all your passwords safe and do not disclose them to anyone. NEVER use the same word for your Username and Password. Make sure you DO NOT use common passwords, use a strong password consisting of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and other keyboard symbols such as & * £ % etc. Ensure your ANTI-VIRUS software is up to date and working to guard against malware. Please be assured that the Lovesail site software uses tools to treat (sanitise) all user input data to guard against cyber attacks.
- NEVER post your email address or contact details on your profile or on the comment box, user blog or crewing group. This is against the terms and conditions of the site and is not just for your own personal security but the security of your Lovesail account too.
- Beware scammers. Whilst Scammers are extremely rare, on the Lovesail site, due to our hand checking of profiles, it is worth mentioning, after all forewarned is forearmed. Scammers are usually men pretending to be women who have seemingly fallen head over heels in love with you, or they have some terrible story of woe and they prey on your sympathy in order to persuade you to send them some money. Be very wary of people that send you their contact details on their first contact with you. Also be very wary of giving them your contact details. If they are genuine then they won't mind talking through the site's private message facility. Under no circumstances should you ever send money to someone you’ve met on a dating site or social network.
- Report any members to Admin if you feel they are not genuine or have acted in a way that you feel is inappropriate. We can and will delete them!
- Lastly use your ‘gut feeling’. If something your date says doesn’t add up then be a bit wary, it may not be true.